The following services are termed a “controlled service” in the building regulations (law).. and they must be fitted by a “competent person” who is suitably qualified and a member of a government approved competent persons scheme to ensure they are safe and comply with all relevant building regulations and standards in force, they must also be registered with the local building control department who keep a record. These records are usually “searched” when a property is bought or sold and can hold up the sale of a property if missing. For your peace of mind we hold all relevant certifications as required and are members of relevant government approved industry bodies for installation and registration of these “controlled services” and are “competent persons” as defined in relevant law.
We are able to self certify and register “controlled service” installations as defined in the current building regulations (law).
Here are a few services that are covered and need to be certified/notified under the current building regulation guidelines. These detailed, pertain mainly to single family dwellings.
1. Installation of a heat-producing gas appliance.
2. Installation of heating or hot water system connected to a heat-producing gas appliance, or associated controls.
3. Installation of—
(a) an oil-fired combustion appliance; or
(b) oil storage tanks and the pipes connecting them to combustion appliances.
4. Installation of a solid fuel burning combustion appliance.
5. Installation of a heating or hot water system connected to an oil-fired combustion appliance or its associated controls.
6. Installation of a heating or hot water system connected to a solid fuel burning combustion appliance or its associated controls.
7. Installation of a heating or hot water system connected to an electric heat source or its associated controls.
8. Installation of a mechanical ventilation or air conditioning system or associated controls, which does not involve work on a system shared with parts of the building occupied separately, in a building other than a dwelling.
9. Installation of an air conditioning or ventilation system in a dwelling, which does not involve work on systems shared with other dwellings.
10. Installation of a lighting system or electric heating system, or associated electrical controls.
11. Installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations.
12. Installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage electrical installations as a necessary adjunct to or arising out of other work being carried out by the registered person.
13. Installation, as a replacement, of a window, roof light, roof window or door in an existing dwelling.
14. Installation of a sanitary convenience, sink, washbasin, bidet, fixed bath, shower or bathroom in a dwelling, which does not involve work on shared or underground drainage.
15. Installation of a wholesome cold water supply or a softened wholesome cold water supply.
16. Installation of a supply of non-wholesome water to a sanitary convenience fitted with a flushing device which does not involve work on shared or underground drainage.
17. Installation in a building of a system to produce electricity, heat or cooling—
(a) by microgeneration, or
(b) from renewable sources (as defined in European Parliament and Council Directive 2009/28/EC of 23 April 2009 on the promotion of the use of energy from renewable sources(17).
18. Insertion of insulating material into the cavity walls of an existing building.
19. Installation, as a replacement, of the covering of a pitched or flat roof and work carried out by the registered person as a necessary adjunct to that installation. This paragraph does not apply to the installation of solar panels.
20. Any building work which is necessary to ensure that any appliance, service or fitting which is installed and which is described in the preceding entries above, complies with the applicable requirements contained in Schedule 1.
For a simplified, general understanding of how we comply with the above and for your peace of mind, we are members of the following governing trade bodies and associations, in addition to 34 consecutive years of gaining knowledge and experience within our chosen profession.